Chief Investment Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience7 years
- Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
The Chief Investment Officer is being recruited to originate, develop, and lead the due diligence up to Board approval, financial closure and first disbursement of private sector transactions in the industries & services sectors. Applicants will be considered based on their specific skills, expertise and background. Depending on the profile of candidates, the position could be based in Abidjan, Tunis, Nairobi or Pretoria.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, the Chief Investment Officer will:
- Project Development and Processing
- Liaise and coordinate with other Investment Officers and Bank staff in business development and the origination of a good quality investment pipeline.
- Proactively identify potential investment partners and opportunities based on industry experience, reputation, market potential, financial capability, and strategic fit;
- Assess the attractiveness of specific investment opportunities with a strong focus on credit quality and development impact and make recommendations management.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other departments, clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities;
- Prepare project appraisal reports for presentation to the department, review committees, senior management and finally to the Board of Directors.
- Execute loan, [equity, and mezzanine] financings including processing mandates, conducting due diligence, structuring deals, negotiating terms and documentation, arranging syndications, and processing internal approvals.;
- Coordinate with sector colleagues, the internal approvals to proactively find pragmatic solutions to emerging/specific sector challenges.
- Develop investment promotion strategies in Africa, including targeting potential investors and promoting AfDB’s products and services proactively;
- Work with the legal department to ensure that all deals have appropriate legal documentation and that financial close is achieved, and hand over projects to portfolio management staff.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop a strong pipeline for new investment opportunities.
- Design specific innovative transactions, projects and initiatives
- Undertakes the work on aspects of investments and industrial development and aligns them with institutional objectives.
- Works with regional teams/country offices to design and implement sector development support programs;
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, with a strong focus on credit and asset quality (include processing mandates, due diligence, negotiating term sheets and other documentation, syndications and board approval);
- Provide support to other industry and portfolio teams in processing and supervising projects
External Liaison and Knowledge Sharing
- Contribute to the documentation of lessons learned from investment operations and emerging best practices in areas of expertise
- Participate in and contribute to information and experience sharing sessions with internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in and contribute to activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building relating to AfDB’s investments/operations, products and initiatives.
- Provide peer review to other colleagues to share industry knowledge and information on respective sector
- Provide technical leadership and support to knowledge and lesson sharing approaches and events with internal and external stakeholders.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to develop specific investment opportunities;
Policy and Project Evaluation
- Provide input and comments on project, policy and other papers related to respective sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors.
- Strategy, Planning and Reporting
- Participate in relevant teams for planning and programming purposes.
- Contribute to and coordinate in the investment’s inputs development of strategies at regional level
- Assist in the development of the relevant Department’s knowledge management strategy, and assist in execution of this strategy;
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, advisory and technical assistance colleagues in order to champion AfDB’s value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact;
- Must have a minimum of a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or other relevant field;
- Have a minimum of Seven (7) Years professional experience in project finance, banking, consultancy, with specific experience in Africa;
- Ability for business development, structure and negotiate deals;
- Strong analytical and financial structuring skills (including financial modeling experience) and sound business judgment”;
- Working experience in multinational organization in Africa and/or specialized experience in similar organization/s would be considered an advantage
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate, participate in, and act as a catalyst for, strategic cross-sector dialogues within the networks, across the country, among Bank colleagues and other development institutions, governments and other organizations.
- Knowledge of economic developments and market trends in Africa
- Ability to contribute to sound decisions and contribute to the execution of the decisions
- Ability to initiate, effectively and independently interact with the senior government officials, senior management of potential clients
- Strong commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills
- Proven ability to work with limited supervision and efficiently to deliver under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility;
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
Method of Application Interested and qualified? Go to African Development Bank on www.afdb.org to apply