- Company: African Development Bank
- Location: Ghana
- State: Africa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT / Telecom Jobs in Ghana
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking for this position a candidate to join a management team set to lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centred, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to digitalize and transform the Bank into a knowledge-driven workforce, promote human resources policies that enhance talent, drive a performance-driven culture, and ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice. The complex ensures that all Human Resources and Corporate Services are re-aligned to drive greater corporate performance and execution of the Bank’s strategic vision and priorities. The complex is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, ICT, General services and institutional procurements, Language Services, Business Continuity and, Health and Safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The Corporate Information Technology Services Department (CHIS) mission at the Bank is to align the ICT delivery strategy along with the Bank’s business strategy, to increase the organizational effectiveness through efficient use of the Information Systems (IS). Under the leadership of the Bank’s Information System’s Director, CHIS department is mandated by the Bank to deliver the best possible ICT services for Bank staff and help achieve the results that will get the Bank closer to accomplishing its development goals.
The Bank is a highly decentralized Institution and it is striving to be a leading force in the Continent for SMART working solutions, this goal is core for the advertised position.
The Bank needs to have a solid, reliable and efficient information technology systems to sustain and drive its development efforts. CHIS Department is responsible for leading and managing the Information Technology function within the Bank (Run the Bank). CHIS department is also responsible for bringing new technologies to change the way the Bank does its business. (Change the Bank).
The Director of Information Technology department is responsible for managing the information technology. The job holder prepares information technology plans and budgets and supervises their execution.
The Director establishes and oversees the execution of technical and other policies and procedures related to information systems development, hardware and software operation, ICT security and quality control. The job holder advises the Bank Management on the optimal use of information technology, including data management, telecommunications and digital workplace, with the objective of improving the Institution’s operational efficiency and effectiveness
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Vice-President for Human Resources and Corporate Services, the Director for CHIS will perform the following duties:
- Define and execute the Bank’s information technology strategy and digital strategy and programmes that are aligned with the Bank’s business strategy;
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise the activities of the Department: set its goals and objectives, lead the team of the department, evaluate its performance, manage the staff potential, and determine staff training needs;
- Lead digital transformation process and programs at the Bank;
- Champion and lead the Bank’s digital transformation into a Smart Bank;
- Identify digital technology trends and assess their impact on the Bank’s resources and strategies/plans, and prepare the said ICT/Digital strategies/plans in the short and long terms, and defend them before the Bank’s Management and Board of Directors;
- Utilise expert knowledge and understanding of ICT implications for changing operational needs to clearly and effectively explain complex concepts, as well as formulate and communicate the operational value of investments, expenditures and resources related to information technology;
- Prepare the capital and administrative budgets for information technologies, and ensure their proper execution and optimal use of resources, in compliance with the existing procedures and rules;
- Advise and make recommendations to the President, Vice-Presidents and Board of Directors on all matters relating to information systems and digital technology;
- Ensure the implementation of policies and procedures to maintain an effective level of security for the Bank’s ICT resources and systems; in liaison with the Security Unit and the Cyber Security Unit;
- Ensure the efficient operation of the network including CLOUD network connections/interactions, assist internal customers, ensure required training and manage changes associated with technology trends;
- Supervise the operation of devices for centralized data processing and office automation equipment, and take corrective measures, where necessary, to ensure continued information technology services to Bank staff;
- Ensure operation and development of ICT systems that allow for continuity of Bank activities in emergency and disaster situations;
- Maintain effective working external relations with partners, suppliers, other multilateral development banks (MDB), non-governmental organizations, and other international entities or institutions, as may be needed in the execution of work programs
- Represent the Bank in committees and boards whose activities are related to information technology and ICT matters related to work methodologies.
- Perform any other duties as may be needed to effectively perform this role
- At least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in computer science, information systems, business administration or in closely related disciplines;
- At least fifteen (15) years of extensive experience in positions of increasing responsibility in information technology, with at least 10 years in a management position;
- Solid experience in planning and implementing ICT strategy, as well as in formulating, applying, and assessing ICT policies, programmes and major projects; up-to-date knowledge of ICT and its trends
- Practical experience in ICT Governance, agile management, and DevOps
- A proven record of effectively leading teams in the effective implementation of ICT programmes including appropriate deployment of human resources to meet business needs
- Exceptional capacity to engage in strategic thinking, as well as display analytical perception in planning and implementing ICT strategies;
- Proven ability to weigh alternative solutions to situations, recommend the best alternative, and effectively and efficiently deploy resources to achieve optimum results
- Experience in a similar matrix organization with multiple locations and demonstrated capabilities to effectively lead central ICT services in a fast-paced, dynamic multi-project environment
- Experience in reconciling department budgets to minimise costs and ensure cost effectiveness and managing both CAPEX and OPEX.
- A track record of effectively managing the entire process of acquiring products or services to support business operations, including: identifying business needs, specifying the requirements to address these needs, identifying potential suppliers, soliciting bids and proposals, evaluating bids and proposals, awarding contracts or purchase orders, tracking progress and ensuring compliance, taking delivery, inspecting and inventorying the deliverable, paying the supplier, and ongoing cost and supplier performance management against contracts / work schedules / agreed deliverables
- Knowledge of relevant national and international legislation. E.g.: Data Protection Act, EU Procurement Directive
- Able to build trust amongst all their contacts, across all levels within the organization in order to build a foundation for long term relationships and information exchange.
- Exceptional communication skills, including issue resolution, negotiation and conflict management
- Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to influence and inspire confidence;
- Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client-orientation;
- Ability to undertake sound analysis (skills and methods), in order to conceptualize future work or organizational changes and develop strategies for change which includes strategic mind-set and capacity to translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action of a large international institution;
- Ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs and long term interests of clients within and outside the institution;
- Demonstrated ability to ensure the timely accomplishment of tasks in the Department by giving valuable advice and providing constructive feedback;
- Ability to build and lead a motivated and committed team across functional boundaries and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in French or English with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Microsoft office: Word excel, Power Point, MS Project and Office 365) and preferably SAP.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 29 May, 2020