- Company: African Development Bank
- Location: Ghana
- State: Africa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Banking Jobs in Ghana
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for Finance (FIVP) oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from capital markets and investment activities; financial control functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability and treasury risk management for the Bank Group. The Vice Presidency for Finance is also responsible for the development of and training on the financial products of the Bank Group. In addition, the Administrator of the Staff Retirement Plan (SRP) reports to the Vice-President Finance.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT:
The role of the Financial Management Department (FIFM) is to develop and promulgate policies and guidelines relating to the financial management for the Bank Group. It also ensures internal consistency of all financial policies and guidelines, including those initiated and developed by the other departments in the Bank, as well as monitors and reports on compliance.
The Department’s primary focus includes traditional asset and liability management and treasury middle office functions (interest rate, currency, liquidity and counterparty credit risks) for the management, monitoring and reporting of capital mobilization, borrowing, and treasury investment operations. The Department is responsible for developing and implementing models and systems to produce medium-term financial projections and for proposing measures to ensure satisfactory financial performance for the Bank Group.
FIFM participates in the Asset and Liability Committee (ALCO) and other Senior Management Committees, providing joint oversight of middle-office, treasury risk and asset and liability management functions. As with all other organizational units in the Bank, the Department is responsible for preparing, updating, and implementing strategic plans within the framework of the Bank’s overall strategic plan.
The Department discharges its responsibilities through two divisions:
- Asset and Liability Management Division (FIFM.1);
- Treasury Risk Management Division (FIFM.2).
The position of Director FIFM which reports to the Vice President FIVP, is key to ensuring the overall effectiveness of the financial management of the Bank Group, in particular through the Bank’s financial projections and Income Model, financial and financial risk management, including Asset and Liability Management (ALM) and treasury risk, policies and the monitoring and reporting thereof.
Duties and responsibilities
The Director shall lead a team of high calibre professionals responsible for the formulation of financial, financial risk, including ALM and treasury risk policies of the Bank Group and for monitoring the proper functioning and application of such policies and related practices and business processes. The Group Chief Risk Officer function, which reports to the President of the Bank Group, performs a second line of defense through oversight over all risks in the Bank.
Under the direct supervision of the Vice President, FIVP the Director, FIFM will:
- Provide strategic leadership and vision on the financial risk and Asset and Liability Management (ALM), including treasury related risk, of the Bank Group.
- Formulate and review all policies and guidelines pertaining to the management of treasury risks including interest rate, currency, counterparty credit, liquidity and ALM risks of the Bank Group.
- Provide regular and timely feedback, reporting and advice to Senior Management and the Boards of Directors regarding the functioning of these policies and guidelines;
- Participate in the formulation and recommendation of appropriate instruments and risk management strategies, and related guidelines for approval by the Board;
- Responsible for the review and monitoring of the capital and liquidity adequacy assessment framework of the Bank;
- Undertake periodic financial and financial risk management reporting to Senior Management and the Bank’s Board of Directors through key reports such as the Medium-Term Financial Outlook, Net Income Allocation, Financial Projections
- Liaise with counterparts at other institutions, particularly MDB’s, to exchange ideas on financial and financial risk management policies, asset and liability management approaches and methodologies, or to explain policies to the financial community as well as to rating agencies;
- Analyze the impact of policy changes on the financial position of the Bank or of the African Development Fund.
- Coordinate in liaison with the Bank’s Chief Risk Officer, all interactions with international rating agencies;
- Provide analytical and strategic support for discussions with member countries on proposed capital increases and on replenishments of the African Development Fund;
- Develop work programs of the Department and related budgets;
- Supervise the work of the Division Managers and evaluate their performance.
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Computational Methods Actuarial Science or other related fields.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience with heavy emphasis in the areas of ALM, Financial Risk and Treasury Risk Management or in the Financial Services Sector, including 5 years at a managerial level.
- Certification in professional qualifications such as CFA or FRM is desirable
- Sound knowledge of financial risk management and Asset and Liability Management concepts and principles, managerial, organizational, strategy, financial modelling and systems, and other issues
- Ability to use financial knowledge to ensure optimal utilization of financial resources
- Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity
- Ability to present and effectively communicate complex financial and risk management concepts or models to a non-technical audience
- Should be able to use financial knowledge to ensure optimal utilization of financial resources;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as part of a multicultural team
- Ability to direct and chair management meetings and strategic committees, task forces and working groups of the Bank
- Ability to lead multicultural teams
- Strong communication skills in English or French; ability to communicate in both languages a plus;
- Proven excellence in presenting and effectively communicating complex financial and risk management concepts or models to a non-technical audience;
- Experience of working in a recognized MDB or similar IFI in the fields of ALM, Financial Risk or Treasury Risk management;
- Knowledge of SAP S4 Hana and of financial risk and Asset and Liability Management software and tools highly desirable
- Competence in the use of standard software used in the Bank such as Word, Excel, Access and Power Point.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 20th May, 2020