- Company: UNV LTD
- Location: Ghana
- State: Takoradi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Ghana
Eligibility criteriaMinimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of taskUnder the direct supervision of the Programme Management Specialist and in close collaboration with other Programme team members and key stakeholders at the national and subnational levels, including MMDAs, District/Municipal Planning Coordinating Units and communities in target MMDAs, the UNV Local and Community Development Officer will undertake the following tasks:
- Under the guidance of the Climate Change Expert, support MMDAs to collect and interpret climate-related data and information, as well as undertake local climate risk assessments, and to mainstream climate change into local public planning and budgeting systems, particularly at the District level;
- Under the guidance of the National Technical Specialist (Local Government Finance), support capacity building (“learning by doing”) and preparation of local government development and investment plans and budgets that foster job creation, gender equality and green and climate resilient local economies;
- Support the development of terms of reference for various activities to be undertaken by pilot MMDAs (e.g. procurement, local recruitment processes, etc) and provide general administrative support to the successful implementation of activities/interventions/investments by target MMDAs;
- Support MMDAs in the management, implementation and monitoring of performance-based climate resilience grants and activities/interventions/investments and propose improvements through reviewed work plans, for instance;
- Support the preparation and participate and contribute to the annual performance assessment of MMDAs;
- Facilitate consultation and exchange of information, synergies, learning and know-how at the local level, in particular in relation with partners and stakeholders involved with the Programme’s results, specially results 1 “Local economies are stimulated and short-term job opportunities for youth, women and returnees are created through green and climate resilient investments” and 2 “Employability of youth, women and returnees is improved through orientation support and assistance, to transition to skills development programmes, for the benefit of green and climate resilient local economies (cash for work beneficiaries)”;
- Support the preparation of periodic technical and financial reports on the implementation of the PBCRG activities and undertake regular monitoring of the activities, including through field visits;
- In coordination with SOS , assist in providing inputs to the training opportunities and needs survey development; identification of skills gaps and training needs in the area of climate change and green jobs; support the mapping of training providers and skill areas in target MMDAs in line with the PBCRG investment menu and climate resilience grant priorities; facilitate consultations with MMDAs on setting up of new training centres and roll-out of training services to target beneficiary communities; provide inputs to curricula development and apprenticeship scheme activities in line with training priorities in the MMDAs;
- Perform any other related duties as required by supervisor/ management.
Qualifications/RequirementsRequired degree level:Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
- Master’s degree or the equivalent in one of the following domains: climate change, environment, development, international relations, geography, engineering, agronomy;
Required experience:36 Months
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with local and community development, climate change and/or environment related issues, of which at least one (1) supporting local governments and/or communities;
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise:Community participation and development, Other energy, environment and climate change related experience, Capacity building of non-governmental organizations
Area of expertise details:
- Practical knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation;
- Practical knowledge and experience with planning and budgeting processes, preferably with local government authorities and/or communities;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Practical experience with training and capacity building activities;
- Collaborative work approach and strong team work skills;
- Good negotiation and facilitation skills;
- Computer literacy (Word, Internet, Excel, PowerPoint).
Languages: Excellent speaking and proficient writing skills in English are necessary as well as in one of the local languages widely spoken in the project intervention areas is required.
Driving licence: Licence for vehicle and/or motorcycle is required.
Driving license: YesCompetencies values:
Method of Application
Closing Date : 26 April, 2020