AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited is currently on a journey to redevelop the Obuasi Gold Mine into a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation will be fully mechanized, designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as Mechanical Technician – Material Handling.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The Mechanical Technician – Material Handling is accountable for executing all tasked maintenance work on underground/Surface conveyor systems (shift -3, regular-3), safely, in accordance with other compliance requirements, operational and standards, systems and procedures to maximise plant availability in a compliant, safe, sustainable cost-effective manner and minimize operational risks in order to meet the business’ strategic objective.
- Work according to total quality management principles & ensure zero defect objectives & safety
- Adhere to site’s Environmental Management Plan
- Gather information for the Materials Handling Supervisor for reporting performance
- Execute all tasked maintenance work on underground/surface conveyor systems (shift -3, regular-3)
- Identify actions for continuous improvement and that compliant operability to requirements is ensured
- Organise and report information for the Materials Handling Supervisor to allow development of condition monitoring routes and checks for infrastructure equipment;
- Execute designated and tasked daily work checks on a routine scheduled basis.
- Report any anomalies to Materials Handling Supervisor for the generation of work requests in SAP as required for maintenance planning and scheduling
- Carry out daily pre-start and/or shift handover checks and complete check sheets as required according to the established schedules and also per plant requirements.
- Execute daily pre-start checks of equipment/tools prior to leaving workshop. Escalate and report any anomalies
- Assess all equipment required for completion of the tasked work, create checklist and transport all tools necessary for task completion
- Complete shift short interval control sheets as required
- Monitor operating parameters in accordance with standards provided and take corrective action as indicated or required
- Identify, communicate, and escalate potential cost reduction initiatives to the Supervisor
- Propose cost savings projects
- Execute work in a timely manner; escalate real or potential delays to the Supervisor
- Log monitored equipment performance for entry in asset health system and take proactive measures to register and escalate symptoms of potential failure to Materials Handling Supervisor
- Stop equipment from working if there exists a high risk or unsafe to be used and report to Materials Handling Supervisor
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Secondary / Technical Education
- Completed mechanical apprenticeship from recognized scheme – example City and Guilds, National Vocation Level 1
- An experienced mechanical tradesperson with over 5 years’ experience in underground mining (Preferably on Material Handling Systems)
- Inspecting/Operating Certificate of Competency from Mincom will be an added advantage.
- Fully literate and numerate
- Strong Mechanical Maintenance competencies in underground mining
- Must be able to communicate about technical issues both orally and in writing
How To Apply
Interested applicants should: