- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Eastern Region
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To carry out all in-pit geological activities and ore tracking to the right destination
Grade Control Planning & Execution
- Plan grade control drilling and sampling activities in the field.
- Supervise daily ore mining and ensure mining is done to geological standards (i.e. HW → FW, sheeting in ore, ore loss and dilution).
- Supervise and direct blast hole drilling sequence.
- Implement and monitor blast movement designs in the field.
- Conduct blast hole logging and capture structural mapping data in the pit.
- Track ore material movement in the field and ensure it is captured correctly in the dispatch system.
- Support STP to deliver the required feed grade to mill through accurate stockpiling and efficient blending.
- Conduct daily drill dig on-site visits to determine the rate of progression against specified targets and ensure drilling activity is carried out in line with Newmont’s Safety Standards.
- Carry out geological logging of drill holes including geotechnical and structural data capture
- Data Collection and Quality Control
- Capture all geological field data (core drilling, RC drilling, blasthole, density, grab samples, mapping, moisture content etc)
- Supervise QAQC field sample collection process.
- Assist with lab audit reviews
Health and Safety Management
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensuring that safe work practices are followed.
- Abide by and ensure geological technicians carry out activities according to Newmont’s Health and Safety principles.
Junior Staff Supervision
- Supervise thectivities of geological technicians and samplers through allocated junior staff member
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelors’ Degree in Geology / Geological Engineering/Earth Science.
- Must be able to meet the requirement of Grade Control Geologist I.
- Sound understanding of Production Geology
- Minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience within a Geology Production environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong database management skills.
- Strong capacity planning skills.
- Incumbent has to carry heavy loads and samples.
- Incumbent has to work in extreme weather conditions (80 – 90% in the field).
- Incumbent has to work on a shift basis including night duties
Method of Application
Closing Date : 4 July, 2020