Global Pulse is a flagship innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on big data. Its vision is a future in which big data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are harnessed and used responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action.
To this end, Global Pulse will work to promote awareness of the opportunities Big Data presents for sustainable development and humanitarian action, forge public-private data sharing partnerships, generate high-impact analytical tools and approaches through its network of Pulse Labs, and drive broad adoption of useful innovations across the UN System.
Global Pulse implements data innovation programs through its Pulse Labs to provide UN and development partners with access to the data, tools and expertise required to discover new uses of big data and AI for development. Global Pulse develops policies, toolkits, applications and platforms to improve data-driven decision-making and support the evaluation of promising solutions.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for Global Pulse. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the supervision of senior management of UN Global Pulse, the consultant will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of AI and data governance projects across Africa;
- Support scaling up of existing initiatives and identify relevant opportunities for Global Pulse’s engagement in the AI and data governance space in the region;
- Ensure timely delivery of reports on ongoing AI and data governance projects to UN Global Pulse senior management;
- Provide technical inputs to and support governments in the development of policy instruments on AI and data governance in the Global South region;
- Manage a small project team distributed across Ghana and Uganda;
- Expand and maintain a network of stakeholders on AI and data from public, private sector and civil society organizations in Ghana and Uganda;
- Support the representation of UN Global Pulse on AI and data governance related projects in the Africa region by participating in discussions with stakeholders;
- Manage organization of events, working groups, and other advocacy related events related to the AI and data policy work in the Africa region;
- Develop a system to ensure knowledge transfer and capacity building within the Pulse Lab Network;
- Provide technical inputs to various Pulse Network related documents and reports in the area of work, including policy papers;
- Work closely with the policy team in Pulse Lab New York and the senior management of Pulse Lab Kampala, ensuring alignment of policy work and priorities across Pulse Labs.
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Computer Sciences, International Relations, Law, or other relevant fields.
- A Bachelor’s Degree plus additional (2) two years may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Minimum of (5) five years of practical experience in data privacy, data protection, data governance or artificial intelligence ethics related matters in Africa is required;
- Experience in drafting written materials, producing reports, and meeting summaries is required
- Experience in event organization and meeting facilitation is required;
Desirable experience (the following experience is optional candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- At least (2) two years of project management experience in the field of data and AI governance or data and AI innovation is desired;
- Experience in providing policy advice on digital development and digital transformation is highly desirable;
- Experience in public speaking and active participation in data privacy, data protection, AI ethics working groups and consultations representing an organization is highly desirable;
- Working knowledge of data and AI applications for social good is highly desirable;
- Technical expertise in the area of AI or data science or related technical fields, including data innovation for social good is an asset;Research experience in AI and data related studies and/or global development is highly desirable.
- Experience working with an international organization and/or other public sector institution in Africa is an asset;
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 26 July, 2020