- Company: Results for Development
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: International Jobs in Ghana
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results.
Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D, and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Program Officer based in Accra, Ghana to play a key role on the USAID Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (HSS Accelerator) program in Ghana.
Please note, this position is grant-funded through 2023. Ghanaian nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a Ghanaian benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
The HSS Accelerator is a global, USAID Cooperative Agreement to strengthen institutions and processes, and build local expertise, to ensure that health systems can tackle future challenges and weather shocks with less reliance on external support. The HSS Accelerator is applying a potentially paradigm-changing approach to support countries on their journey to self-reliance. And, to ultimately ensure that health systems work for the people and communities who need them.
The HSS Accelerator is led by Results for Development (R4D) with support from the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), and ICF. Additional global, regional, and local partners will be selected in partnership with USAID/OHS and USAID Missions based on demand.
The Senior Program Officer will help lead selected workstreams under the HSS Accelerator activity in Ghana, providing both day-to-day technical and program management guidance to the team. S/he will work with staff based in Ghana and the US and will be responsible for ensuring that this team work collaboratively with the Ghanaian government stakeholders to achieve the objectives of the program.
A successful candidate should have strong leadership, program management, and stakeholder management skills. S/he should have a technical background in health systems strengthening, with experience working on quality assurance and quality improvement issues. S/he should also be highly motivated, a creative problem solver; have strong analytical, communication, process facilitation, and collaboration skills; and have a commitment to excellence and producing results.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and will report to the Program Director in Accra.
- Provide technical and operational support to select activities under the HSS Accelerator portfolio in Ghana, including development, management, and implementation of work plan. Proactively identify and work with the team to resolve programmatic and technical issues (e.g. delays, shifts in technical focus).
- Manage and cultivate teamwork on a geographically dispersed team comprised of HSS Accelerator staff and consultants in Ghana and the US.
- Ensure effective and regular communications with internal and external stakeholders (including government partners, USAID, etc.)
- Manage relationships with key external partners, in relation to tasks/sub-activities managed by the incumbent. This includes relationships with the national, regional and district stakeholders at the Government of Ghana.
- Lead development of key deliverables, including analytical and communication materials (e.g., technical tools, workshop reports, operational guidelines etc.) in collaboration with other team members.
- Review and provide constructive feedback to work products developed by other team members and consultants within select activities. Provide coaching and direction to junior staff members, related to the activities led by the incumbent.
- Represent R4D and the HSS Accelerator at health policy forums in Ghana, as designated by the Program Director and Senior Program Director. Seek opportunities to present HSS Accelerator work both in Ghana and globally.
- Identify creative ways to expand current work and seek out funding opportunities in collaboration with Program Director and Senior Program Director.
- Participate in, and when necessary lead, R4D team building, strategy development and other activities that advance overall mission of the organization.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience on issues related to health systems strengthening in Ghana, including experience working on quality assurance and quality improvement issues.
- MD and/or Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant field (public health, health economics, public or social policy, public administration, business, management or similar).
- Proven experience in conceptualizing, planning and implementing projects or programs. Experience managing USAID or other donor-funded grants is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate successful working relationship with government health agencies and other key health stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to set-up and manage team dynamics, harbor teamwork, inclusive and productive work environment.
- Experience providing process facilitation support on issues related to health systems strengthening – i.e., supporting a country-led process that has broad stakeholder buy-in, develops the capacity of country partners, and leads to contextually appropriate and technically valid solutions.
- Ability to understand and describe complex health systems issues.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability. Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment and be responsive to country partners and funders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to: effectively facilitate high-level meetings; prepare clear and concise emails, presentations and reports.
- High level of Microsoft Office proficiency, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 26 July, 2020