- Company: World Health Organization
- Location: Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare Jobs in Ghana
Purpose of the Post:
In the context of the Universal Health Care to improve accessibility and availability of good quality mental health care and support, the incumbent at the country level will serve as a mental health advisor and support:
- The development and implementation of policies and strategies for mental health.
- Scale up of integration of mental health services into health systems with a focus on Primary Health Care.
- The implementation of WHO QualityRights nationwide in mental health and other relevant sectors
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity (Overview of the programme):
In support of Ghana’s mental health policy to promote de-institutionalization and community level care, the mission of the mental health program is to improve governance systems for mental health, and to implement WHO QualityRights, an initiative which aims to build capacity and change attitudes and practices among national stakeholders in order to promote recovery and respect for human rights for people with mental health conditions, psychosocial and intellectual disabilities and to scale up integrated community based services and supports.
Organizational Context (Describe the work environment, the role of the individual within the team – team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator/manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc.; available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making, and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization):
- Improving accessibility and availability of good quality mental health care and support requires the integration of mental health into universal health coverage with appropriate mental health legislation, policy and services aligned with international human rights standards.Reporting to the DPC Cluster Head and under the leadership of the Head of WHO Country Office, the incumbent acts as an advisor on mental health activities, enabling the development, implementation, and monitoring of strategies that maximize WHO support in the country to:
- Strengthen leadership, policy and systems for mental health services;
- Build capacity in:
- mental health, human rights and recovery
- the development of community based services and supports that increase access at the primary care level
- strategies to address stigma, discrimination, violence and coercion in services
The incumbent is expected to exercise full judgment in adapting or modifying relevant WHO tools and guidelines and to meet particular requirements or changing circumstances in close coordination with the Regional Office and HQ. S/he will engage with MOH, MHA, GHS, UN partners and mental health NGOs to establish strategic partnerships in respect of mental health services in the context of universal health care.
- Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):In close collaboration with technical counterparts in WHO and in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Mental Health Authority, Ghana Health Service, and NGOs working in the area of Mental Health, the technical advisor will undertake the following areas:
- Engage with strategic partners to advance policy dialogue, advocacy and human rights in mental health for implementation;
- Provide technical support to the MOH/MHA/GHS, relevant government agencies and partners in the development and implementation of mental health policies, strategies and activities;
- Support national dialogue and advocacy to establish future direction for community based mental health services, policy and legislative actions;
- Support country wide roll out of QualityRights Initiative in Ghana;
- Support capacity strengthening for health professionals using WHO QualityRights and MHGAP tools;
- Contribute to the analysis and reporting of national mental health data in order to give evidence-based advice to the national Ghanaian authorities.
- Perform any other related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
Competencies (Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required – See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones – identify a minimum of three and a maximum of fiv.e competencies):
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way
2. Ensuring effective use of resources
3. Producing results
Functional Skills and Knowledge (Describe skills and knowledge specific to the post):
- Demonstrated knowledge of mental health, particularly in those areas critical for promoting a public health perspective and approach to improving access to integrated mental health services ensuring the respect of human rights
- Proven ability to coordinate and manage projects, build partnerships with multiple partners in the context of mental health.
- Good working relationship/experience with the MHA, MOH, GHS
- Sound tactical thinking with ability to formulate clear comprehensive strategies and plans.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to multi-task and produce results under pressure.
Essential: Hold a degree in medicine or relevant health field and post-graduate qualification in mental health obtained from a recognized University
Desirable: Training in public health
Essential: At least five (5) years of professional experience in mental health, human rights, disability and recovery planning, advocacy and policy dialogue
Desirable: Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations
Experience in research activities and data analysis
Excellent knowledge of English.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 27 April, 2020