- Company: Newmont Mining Corporation
- Location: Ghana
- State: Sunyani
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Mining Jobs in Ghana
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
To conduct mechanical maintenance activities for the underground mine with the aims of ensuring equipment is maintained in a fit for purpose and safe condition, delivering optimum plant and equipment availability, minimizing unplanned maintenance tasks and reducing maintenance costs.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Perform servicing, maintenance and repair on all mechanical plant and equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards.
- Communicate with maintenance, operational and planning personnel to identify, plan, estimate and organize the proper labor, services, equipment.
- Assist with the review and approval structural, mechanical, plate work and piping drawings and make recommendations and modifications based on technical standards and procedures.
- Work in conjunction with the maintenance and planning teams to determine mechanical maintenance backlogs and assist with equipment shutdown planning.
- Manage and control costs within maintenance areas, where possible.
- Comply with the requirements for the proper use, storage and maintenance of company tooling.
- Perform mechanical maintenance activities such as the installation, commissioning, maintenance, repair, inspection and decommissioning of plant and equipment in the underground mine and associated infrastructure in conjunction with the maintenance team.
- Conduct troubleshooting of all relevant mechanical systems, ensuring there effective repair and reliable operation.
- Assist with the adherence of mechanical maintenance to all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
- Assist with the compliance of all mechanical apparatus, installations and related work to the requirements of the Mineral and Mining (Health, Safety and Technical) Regulation, LI 2182.
YOUR TRAINING, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE CHECKLIST:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Mechanical Fitter, Welder, Boilermaker trade qualification or equivalent is required as a minimum.
- Post trade qualifications in a relevant field are highly desirable.
- Inspecting or Sectional Engineer Certificate of competency / MINCOM Certification is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable knowledge of mining or heavy industry maintenance practices, principles and standards.
- Knowledge of industrial work management processes.
- Knowledge of defect elimination methodologies and their interpretation.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field of mechanical maintenance.
- Proven experience with the installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, inspection and repair of mechanical apparatus and installations in a large-scale mining or heavy industry operation.
- Experience with the operation and maintenance of belt conveyors is highly desirable.
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee will be required to work underground. The employee occasionally is exposed to electrical hazards of both high and low voltage. The employee may also be exposed to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
- Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, earplugs and dust mask.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 7 July, 2020